By Karen Hendricks
One of the nicest things I can say about the winter season is… it’s a great time for baking. Nothing makes the house feel quite so cozy, combatting winter’s frigid temps.
We were recently approached by The New York Baking Company and asked to review their new product, reusable silicone baking cups called Baking Buddies. Full disclosure: a set of Baking Buddies was provided at no cost to us.
It was the perfect opportunity to whip up a batch of cornbread muffins—something I love to make—but then hate the cleanup associated with standard muffin tins. And paper cupcake wrappers always seem to stick and/or pull off too much of the moist cornbread.
So I put the Baking Buddies, a set of 12 brightly-colored cups, to the test with my favorite corn cake recipe… one that I’ve made a zillion times. It’s definitely a tried-and-true family fave. I think the secret is to use real butter and that touch of real vanilla… plus a quality cornmeal.
Corn Cakes / Cornbread:
- 1/4 c butter
- 3/4 c sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 c milk
- 1 T vanilla
- 2 c flour
- 1 c cornmeal
- 2 t baking powder
- Dash of salt
- Using electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together. Beat in the egg, milk and vanilla. Add flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Beat just until smooth.
- For corn cakes (muffins), spoon into a muffin pan and bake at 350 for 20 min. Makes one dozen.
- For cornbread, pour into 9×9” pan and bake at 350 for 30 min. Cool slightly; cut into squares.
So I ladled the batter right into the Baking Buddies, as I would normally do with muffin tins. After baking, the moment of truth came… would the company’s claim of nonstick, flexible and “easy release” cups hold true? Yes—the corn cakes popped right out with very little residue left inside the cups. Two more important points: They are dishwasher-safe and carry a lifetime guarantee. If your family makes as many muffins and cupcakes as our family does, you will definitely recoup their pricetag of $9.95 by crossing “cupcake liners” off your grocery list during 2014—and beyond.
Links and More Info:
- Product Name: Baking Buddies, silicone baking cups, available on Amazon
- Brand: The New York Baking Company
- RRP: $9.95
- Material: BPA free silicone
Stay warm this winter and bake often! 🙂